- The Nilgiri Mountain ranges abound in rich flora and fauna. There are over 100 species of mammals, 350 species of birds, different kinds of reptiles, fish, amphibians and butterflies. This includes the Asian elephant, the Nilgiri Tahr, Gaur, Panther, Wild Boar, Sambha, and even an occasional Tiger, which can be spotted at Korakundah.
- Green tea panning machines have been introduced at both the Chamraj and Allada valley factories – advancements in technology with regards to the oxidation process of tea. Yet another step, which only makes our fine teas, finer.
“Global” Warming by Mr.Pinto
- Transfair, a German fair trade organization (now FLO) has taken note of UNTEA’s welfare activities. In recognition they have been paying a premium for UNTEA teas, which is being used for labour welfare and improving livelihoods in the neighbouring communities. UNITEA holds the distinction of being the first South Indian company to be selected for this scheme. In this case, the management and employees have chosen to utilize it for another plantation first-Pension Scheme for labour.
- Students at the Korakundah School
Did You Know
- In UNITEA, of a full total of 1500 hectares, only 850 hectares is under cultivation. The remaining is left to allow for green cover to flourish.
- UNITEA is one of the pioneers in Organic tea production, and is continuing to perfect this art. Proof is in the many awards that UNITEA continues to win for its Organic tea. The last being the five-award haul at Golden Leaf India Awards 2011.
- UNITEA is the only tea company that introduced pension scheme for its employees as early as 1997
- They Made Us Proud: Yet another successful chapter in the growing Sivasailam Chamraj Higher Secondary School Book – “Sowmya”, daughter of P.Mani, factory manager, Chamraj Estate has done us proud by scoring 485 marks out of 500 and ranking third in the district in the Class X public exams – 2012. In 2011, “Jency” scored 488 out of 500 in the X public exams, just seven marks short of being State first. In 2010, “Raghu” was the top rank holder within Nilgiris District scoring 1163 marks out of 1200. We are sure that many more such success stories will continue to be scripted by the Chamraj students.
- Chamraj hospital is the first estate hospital to open its facilities in 1984 to the public for a subsidized fee.
- All Round Excellence: UNITEA is proud of the school’s excellence outside of academics as well. The Chamraj School Girls Hockey team is one of the best in the Nilgiris, having won the local Championship a number of times. Athletes from the school have represented the District at the State Level.