- The Boston Tea Party is really a political protest, which originated in Boston, against British taxation policies. On Dec 16, 1773, Bostonians dressed up as Mohawks, dumped crates of British tea into the Boston Harbour. An iconic event in American History, and was also greatly responsible for the coffee outbreak in the US.
- Originally tea was poured into small handle-less Chinese porcelain bowls that held about 2-3 tablespoons of tea. It is said that the idea of the saucer developed in the 17th century when the daughter of a Chinese military official found it difficult to handle the hot bowls of tea she brewed for him and asked a local potter to devise a little plate on which to place the bowl.
- The only tea plantation in the United States is located in South Carolina – The Charleston Tea Plantation Inc.. Traces its history back to 1799 when a French Botanist brought the first tea plants to America.
- Long Island Iced Tea is a popular thirst-quencher in North America. The most consumed “prepared tea type” in America. How much tea goes into the average long island tea recipe? NONE!
- UNITEA is the largest manufacturer and exporter of tea in Nilgiris.
Did You Know
- Tea is the largest beverage drunk in the world. And the Irish consume more tea per capita than any other group in the world.
- In Siberia, until the nineteenth century, solid blocks of tea were used as money.
- Almost 5,000 years ago, in 2737 B.C., Chen Norg, the Emperor of China, accidentally discovered the leaf – tea, as it has been called since then – when it fell in hot water, and the rest is history.
- Instant tea can be made without boiling water or steeping a bag.
- Young green tea whose leaves when rolled into a ball have a name – gunpowder!