Over the past 94 years UNITEA has been the forerunner in many areas. It has set trends and broken ground for others to follow.
To name a few:
- Is the first “South Indian Tea” to command the price of Rs.1000/- per kg
- Is the first producer of Organic tea in India (since 1994)
- First amongst plantations to achieve ISO 9002 certification (1997)
- Built certification guidelines for Fairtrade for tea plantations and is one of the first estates to be certified (1994)
- Opened the first high schoolin the plantationwith Tamil as the initial language of instruction (1979), and followed up in 1981 with English
- Is the first and only tea plantation in India to introduce the idea of pensions to its workforce
And these are not all.